Introducing the first in our series of interviews with experienced Global Payroll Managers. In our first edition, we have the pleasure of chatting with John Lestock, Global Payroll Accountant CPP at Boeing.
John Lestock, CPP, CEBS, QPA is a global payroll accountant at The Boeing Company. He has over 25 years of experience as an accountant specializing in payroll and pension plans (both defined contribution and defined benefit plans). His diverse experience includes payroll tax accounting, compliance auditing of futures and options trading, sales and use tax preparation, defined benefit pension plan administration, defined contribution plan accounting, and corporate accounting.
John is currently a vice president of the APA and he was a member of the Board of Advisors representing Region 3. He is the past president and current government liaison of the Rainier Chapter APA in Seattle. In addition, John is the current treasurer and past president of the Pacific Northwest Chapter for the International Society of Certified Employee Benefit Specialists (ISCEBS).
During this interview, we cover everything from the changes John has seen in the Global Payroll industry over the past 5 years. How technology is influencing global payroll in terms of automation and standardization. The benefits technology brings to Global Payroll.
We also discuss technology in terms of reporting and how the payroll departments play a key role in strategic decision making based on the valuable data and analytics payroll departments can provide.
John also gives some valuable insights and advice for companies looking to expand internationally including tips on vendor selection, in-country partners (ICP’S) and the challenges to global expansion from a payroll point of view.
Finally, we conclude the interview with some valuable lessons learned by john in his career to date and his tips on how to ensure good work-life balance.
In this interview with John Lestock CPP, Global Payroll Accountant at Boeing we also learn:
- John’s career to date and how he got involved with Global Payroll
- The most significant changes John has seen in the Global Payroll Industry over the past 5 years
- John’s take on innovations such as Robotic Process Automation (RPA) impacting the payroll industry
- Data integration and automation are key ways to manage costs and reduce human risk in global payroll. We ask John his opinion on how data integration and automation can contribute and benefit Global Payroll?
- The impact of GDPR and increasing data protection laws on the payroll industry
- How companies can utilize payroll data for strategic decision making
- What technology does John think is needed by Global Payroll teams to deliver strategic insights to their leadership teams?
- Current challenges John is facing as an International Payroll Accountant?
- How John would advise companies who are expanding internationally and looking for in-country partners (ICP’s)?
- Selection criteria for choosing a vendor to work with
- On a personal level, John’s biggest career lesson which has influenced him the most?
- What John does in his spare time to ensure he has a good work-life balance
Stay tuned for the second part of the interview!