Qatar Global Payroll & Tax Information Guide
Do you need assistance with global payroll services in the State of Qatar?
Payslip delivers a scale-up advantage for today’s global business leaders, harmonizing global payroll operations to fuel growth efficiency. By standardizing and automating the complexities of global payroll,
Payslip’s Global Payroll Control Platform empowers outperformers to
Foundational for global growth, Payslip enables businesses to instantly expand to new regions and countries while still having complete choice of in-country payroll providers and full control of SLA terms. With Payslip, businesses can continuously scale-up, always ready to capture new opportunities in any part of the world. Get in touch with us today.
Payroll in Qatar – 2022 Updates
With the 2022 FIFA World Cup fast approaching there are some significant updates which benefit those who are doing business in the country. Some of them are:
- The abolishment of the No Objection Certificate (NOC) – The amendment provides the opportunity for employees to change jobs before the end of their contracts and to move freely from company to company.
- Minimum wage of QAR 1,000 (USD 275) per month for all employees.
- The option of 100% foreign ownership of businesses in the State of Qatar
- Extension of the number of areas where non-residents are allowed to purchase residential and non-residential properties on a freehold basis to twenty-five.
- Ratification of the Singapore Convention on Mediation.
- An amendment to the intellectual property law resulted in more protection of industrial designs.
- Updates of the rules for dealing in the Qatar Stock Exchange (QSE).
- New framework for the operation and regulation of the railways in Qatar.
- New law for regulation of the private public partnerships.
- Updates of the law defining charities to simplify operating processes, policies, and procedures
Qatar Payroll – Basic Facts
Arabic is the official language of Qatar; however, English is widely spoken in the country and is the main business language.
The currency in Qatar is the Qatari Riyal (QAR).
The fiscal year in Qatar is from 1st of April to 31st of March. The wages of the workers employed on annual or monthly wages should be paid at least once every month. The wages of all other workers should be paid once at least every two weeks. In Qatar, payroll is not subject to income tax.
Compensation and Benefits
Foreign workers in Qatar
After it was briefly suspended in 2020 due to COVID-19, Qatar’s visa-on-arrival service has resumed with some conditions. As of August 2022, citizens of over 95 countries are eligible for visa-free entry into the State of Qatar. Learn more here.
Qatar is considered a tax-free country for expats. Non-residents may have to pay a 5% withholding tax if they’ve made money from services originating in Qatar. This rate is the same for individuals, self-employed workers, and companies.
For more information about how our Global Payroll Control Platform integrates with local payroll providers in State of Qatar, contact us today.